Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Week 8 Post 1: Visual Support

    Courtney Cooper Photography (@courtcoopphoto) is all about visual representation. My business is my photography and Instagram is the perfect way to promote it. In my opinion, it is the best possible way to reach my audience. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at other photographers with similar styles to mine and what hashtags they use to get the largest audience possible. I have also conducted research on my own to find out what the top hashtags are, so I make sure I incorporate some of those. After doing some research and practicing on my photos, I have realized that the best hashtags are the ones that describe the photo. For example, if the photo is of a beach you would want to hashtag the following #beach #ocean #outdoors #nature and so on. 

    Even if you have a smaller following than other profiles, hashtags will generate many likes and help you gain a wider audience. @kaseymantiply is a photographer with 3,966 followers currently. She uses a wide variety of hashtags on her photos and because she photographs nature like I do. She does not post as often but receives about 300-500 likes on her pictures. I have looked at some of her posts to see which ones seem to work best. She uses hashtags such as #california #followmytravel #tourtheplanet #earthfocus etc. I usually use California when I post anything involving the state, but the other three hashtags are ones I have not used and want to try for my next post. 

    Another photographer is @withluke who has 311k followers. His photographs generate thousands of likes, and he has a great theme going on throughout his Instagram which is also important. He uses hashtags such as #welivetoexplore #folknature #letsgosomewhere #theoutbound etc. The hashtags he uses are more unique and I have never used them personally. These are other ones I would like to experiment with. 

    A photography page called @roamtheplanet has the most beautiful nature photos taken all over the world. They have 1.4 million followers and have their own personal hashtag #roamtheplanet so you can share your photos and they can possibly feature you on their page. Some of their other hashtags include #moodygrams #exploreourearth #mountainworld #earthoutdoors. They receive 10's of thousands of likes on their page, and I feel the hashtags they use are generating more interest in their photos. Their last post was four hours ago and already has 12,357 likes!

    Lastly, another great nature photographer is @charlysavely. She takes wildlife photos and has created a business by creating a wildlife photography workshop that people can take. She is based in Alaska and has 324k followers. Her last post was one hour ago and has already generated 6,429 likes. The post is about how to get involved in her photo workshop and explains how she will teach you technique and editing skills to better your photography. Her hashtags include #girlswhotravel #wildlifewomen #travelgirl and #outdoorwomen. 

All in all, these four profiles have gained a lot of attention by posting their photography on Instagram and using the right hashtags, I feel that this is probably the best way for each of them to put themselves out there and be as successful as possible. Using the right hashtags is definitely key, and I have learned an array of new ones just by searching pages with similar posts to mine. I think Instagram is the best social media outlet for photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 16

My viewpoint of social media has changed in that I can now see that there may be an opportunity to create a business from it. I have always ...